Screenings are open to the public on the last Thursday of each month until the year ends.  

The Hippodrome State Theatre is transitioning to reflect the diverse community and are pioneering for inclusivity.

Let the excitement begin at the Hippodrome for the newly added film series “Black Films Matter.” The series takes place on the last Thursday of each month until the year ends.

Each screening is open to the public at a going rate of $9. Discounts may vary for matinee, students and senior citizens at $7.  Tickets can be purchased through the Hippodrome’s website, but they also accept MoviePass.

The first film for viewers pleasure will be “Putney Swope” beginning at 7:30 p.m. tonight. The films are selected by Director of Operations Nicole Daenzer. Doors will open 30 minutes before the performance.

“I was looking to find indie films with more of the black perspective,” Daenzer said. “I wanted to create a series with groundbreaking classics. Not many people, nor film buffs, here have heard of ‘Putney Swope’ ... It’s just an amazing movie that came out late ‘60s, early ‘70s. It’s really funny satire.”

The exception to the screening weeks will be the film “Freedom on My Mind,” which is scheduled to be observed June 19 in honor of Black American Independence Day.

This film series highlights black films and black filmmakers.

“I feel like the cinema should be showing films that will reflect the community and showing films that would be interesting to the people who live here while enhancing their understanding of the world,” Daenzer said. “I’m starting to find more films as I dig.”