Fall for chicken by cooking with apples — for the kidneys

Pumpkins and nutmeg get all of the attention this time of year, but there isn’t any reason we can’t show some fall love to a year-round favorite: chicken. This recipe makes a great entree for any fall festivities you plan! It’s fast, easy and will make your guests want to keep coming back for more. As college students, it’s sometimes hard to make enough time to cook a full meal, but you can pair this chicken with mashed potatoes or rice for a well-balanced and kidney-friendly meal.

What you need:

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 ½ tablespoons butter with canola

1 teaspoon minced garlic

1 ½ cups apple cider

1 organic Granny Smith apple

½ white onion

2 bay leaves

Ground thyme

1 teaspoon black pepper

1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

What to do:

Heat half the oil and half the butter in a deep pan large enough to fit all four chicken breasts.

While the oil is heating, chop the onion into small pieces and dice the apple. Rub the chicken with the rest of the oil and the pepper, rubbing each piece with equal amounts oil and pepper.

Cook the chicken on medium heat for about seven minutes in the pan, flipping frequently to ensure an equal cook on both sides. Remove the chicken from the pan, and set it aside.

Put the onions, apples, garlic, thyme and bay leaves into the pan, and cook on medium-high heat until the onions become translucent and the apples change color slightly (about five minutes). Sprinkle the rest of the butter and the all-purpose flour evenly in the pan, and mix it in well before placing the chicken back into the pan.

Place all four chicken breasts back into the pan with the onions, apples and spices, and add the apple cider. Surround the chicken with the apples and onions, and bring the mixture to a boil.

After boiling for about 2 minutes, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cover the pan to allow the chicken to cook through.

After about 10 minutes, turn off the stovetop and let the chicken sit for a minute or two before serving.

A version of this recipe ran on page 10 on 10/17/2013 under the headline "Fall for chicken by cooking with apples — for the kidneys"