<p>Try Willy's as an alternative to the other Mexican restaurants for a fresh taste.</p>

Try Willy's as an alternative to the other Mexican restaurants for a fresh taste.

Gainesville is a city known not only for its large college population and vibrant nightlife but also for its ability to draw the appeal of major restaurant chains from all over the country.

The city, of course, has its McDonald's, Zaxby's, Five Guys and the recent re-addition of a Wendy's. A recent rise in the opening of Mexican restaurants, however, has taken the city by storm. But which place has the best nachos, the best sauce and the best burritos?

Willy's Mexicana Grill, at 3617 SW Archer Road, made its quiet entry into the Mexican food game last fall with its soft opening on Nov. 30.

The restaurant had its grand opening on Jan. 16.

Founded by Willy Bitter in 1995, Willy's has expanded in the last 15 years to become a well-known Mexican food chain in Atlanta.

The restaurant buys all of its produce locally and its meats from southern Georgia.

Gonzalez said the restaurant does not own a freezer as another way to keep its food fresh for customers.

"Everything is prepped by hand," he said.

Along with Willy's desire to provide customers the freshest food possible, one of the restaurant's goals is to become more energy efficient. Gonzalez said Willy's is the only establishment in Gainesville using Product Soak, meaning it is using less water and chemicals to wash its fruits and vegetables prior to cooking.

To lower electricity usage, Willy's uses two Big Ass Fans to cool the restaurant when temperatures rise. The restaurant has an estimated 40 percent lower utility bill compared to other similar sized restaurants, Gonzalez said.

"We try not to waste any energy," he said.

To appeal to college students, Willy's plans to offer its building and services, which will include catering, to student organizations.

"Any student group that wants to do anything with us, we can use our truck or have our food and marketing tools," Gonzalez said. "We'll do anything because we want to be part of the community."

Jamie Sison, a 20-year old dietetic junior, was raised in Atlanta and has been a fan of Willy's food for four years.

When hearing the news a Willy's was opening in Gainesville, Sison said she was excited.

"I prefer this to Moe's," she said. "I believe the flavors are much more distinctive."

Sitting with Sison was Kiki Chidiac, a 20-year-old food and resource economics junior.

It was Chidiac's first Willy's experience.

"It's really good," she said. "Definitely a lot of variety, and it's pretty cool that the restaurant has a bunch of vegetarian stuff."

Gonzalez said Willy's will continue its efforts to remain energy efficient and will strive to make a positive impact on the Gainesville community.