Colombians and Venezuelans will gather to dance and discuss soccer. The fast-paced chatter of hand gesturing Cubans will hum in the background as they purchase food at a nearby stand.

As part of Hispanic Heritage Month, the 13th annual Downtown Latino Festival will fill Bo Diddley Community Plaza on Saturday from 3 to 9 p.m. with local Hispanics celebrating their culture. This year, the event aims to reach out to Hispanic youth.

“We’re having a student art and poetry exhibition,” said Sara Puyana, the assistant coordinator and owner of both Flaco’s Cuban bakeries in Gainesville. “We’re trying to reach out to the community and bring the younger generation so they can see that it’s something we want them to remember and to be proud of.”

The addition raises cultural awareness and makes the event more family friendly. This year’s festival will also include a kids zone, complete with bounce houses and face painting.

“There will also be a parade of flags, 21 countries including the United States,” Puyana said. “While we’re trying to keep our culture, that doesn’t mean that we don’t want to adopt the new culture that has accepted us.”

At least 19 Hispanic countries’ cuisines will be represented, said Wilfredo Melendez, founder of the Chamber of Hispanic Affairs. Local bands will also be performing at this year’s festival, including Corazon Violeta, 352 Panas and Ramos Pinta.

“The festival provides a way for the community to come out and celebrate its heritage and showcase the contributions the Hispanic community has made not only on the national level but on the local level,” Melendez said.