Dear Mediocre,

Is it OK to change my major even if my parents disapprove?

- The Good Child

Dear Good Child,

There is always one like you. Every family, every job and every building has one: the “good child” — or in my words, the doormat. 

There are jobs no one ever really wants, and once you have them, you’re kind of stuck.

So here’s my advice:

Don’t change your major. Continue on the path you’re in. You’ve already come this far. In fact, apply for grad school and spend the next few years accumulating more debt than you’re already in. It’s OK if you hate the field you’re going into. Pleasing your folks is far more important than your own happiness. 

Cheers,

Mediocre

Dear Mediocre Advice,

I’m panicking.

I just realized it’s my last semester of my entire college career. What do I do? How do I handle this? Netflix and chill?

- Screwed

Dear Screwed,

Not to alarm you, but I just felt a wave of panic. You really are screwed.

How did you just all of a sudden remember it’s your last semester? Most people are counting down. Did you take your GRE? Have you applied for grad school? 

What about loans? You’ll have to start paying those off right away because they’re going to start collecting interest.

That’s too much to deal with in just a few months.

You should just throw all of that crap to the curb. Throw on a tacky Hawaiian shirt and crack open a beer. After all, these are the last few months you can drink and sleep-in every day with no real-world consequence. 

Buuuut, if anything, you could always do a last minute change-of-major and tack on a few extra semesters. More debt, but it’s worth another football season.

Good luck,

Mediocre

Send your questions to mediocre.alligator.advice@gmail.com and together we’ll find solutions to your dilemmas and have some fun along the way.