On the road to the Oscars red carpet, many films are set on earning nominations for the year’s top honor in motion pictures. A select nine are vying for the title of the year’s Best Picture.

For Avenue writers Joe Morgan and Alyssa Holcomb, two movies honed in on the Academy’s most sought-after qualities.

Joe: Choosing one as Best Picture is no easy task. But, if I were stranded in a lifeboat with a hungry tiger or on the wrong end of Django’s gun and his steely glare, I’d throw my support behind “The Silver Linings Playbook.” The David O. Russell film is a hilarious but touching look at real, relatable people with real, relatable problems. The film hits home with a compelling narrative, well-rounded characters and razor-sharp dialogue. “SLP” may not be a favorite for the big prize on Oscar night, but it is undoubtedly the best picture of 2012.

Alyssa: While this year’s Best Picture nominees seem more varied in their sentiment than in years past, it’s “Argo” that grabbed my attention the most. You’d think a declassified CIA story from the Middle East would be your typical awards show fodder, but the simple yet poignant performances on screen combined with director and star Ben Affleck’s gritty, real coverage make it gripping.

Affleck may have been snubbed by the Academy in the Best Director category, but as far as cinema’s top honor goes, “Argo” has secured not only the rest of award season’s highest accolades, but the respect of both audiences and industry professionals. It’s that rare, real combination of story and recognition that makes “Argo” the best picture of 2012.

Joe: Ben Affleck’s failure to earn a Best Director nomination for “Argo” was the worst Oscar snub since “The Dark Knight” and “Wall-E” failed to earn Best Picture nominations in 2008. Affleck’s snub aside, Russell made the cut, and he deserves to win.

Bradley Cooper plays a man whose life is torn apart by his wife’s affair and complications from bipolar disorder. The material may seem like everyday fare, but Russell’s ability to transform the minutiae of a Philly suburb into a hilarious and thoughtful look at family and companionship makes “SLP” truly special.

Alyssa: Russell does make the mundane exciting again with some of his films, but the risk-taking factor in “Argo” makes it the better candidate.

That and the fact that Affleck’s snub has only fueled the public’s curiosity, which provides a Hollywood buzz that strengthens its cause. Affleck also pulls a “George Clooney,” serving as both star and director — it’s rare that it happens, but when it does (and is executed well), any audience is putty in their hands.

Joe: Affleck is one of the few people who can pull off the actor/director combination, and he does so beautifully in “Argo.” But when I think about the best acting performances in 2012, I go back to “SLP.” Robert DeNiro, Jacki Weaver and Chris Tucker give fine supporting turns, but Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence demanded my attention the most.

In his first real attempt in a dramatic role surrounded by veteran, Oscar-nominated actors, Cooper held more than his own. But my highest praise goes to Lawrence, who unquestionably deserves the Oscar for Best Actress. Her character has plenty of issues — including intense, unexpected mood swings — but she likes herself, and Lawrence conveys her confidence with incredible wit and a stay-away-from-me-but-not-too-far-away-because-I-kind-of-like-you charm. Her insane knowledge of Philadelphia sports in a scene with DeNiro is a definite winner.

Like Lawrence’s character, “Playbook” has heart and a wicked sense of humor. The dance scene with Cooper and Lawrence at the end of the film is the best thing ever. “SLP” tackles everyday issues and relatable problems, yet it also provides a poignant escape from reality that few films have achieved.

Alyssa: That is an undoubtedly talented cast, but the combination of all things cinematic in “Argo” make for the better comprehensive choice. Combining the acting chops of Ben Affleck, Bryan Cranston, Alan Arkin and John Goodman makes for an intense and entertaining ensemble. They balance each other and the story well. Their interactions with each other provide a wide spectrum of emotions for people both on- and off-screen to digest.

For me, earning that Best Picture nomination (and, eventually, trophy) means that it’s more than just the performances. It’s the cinematography; it’s the costuming; it’s the score; it’s the direction; it’s the whole package. “Argo” has all of that and some of the most subtle yet fulfilling performances, and that’s why it’s going to take home the gold.