Just when we thought we were past the holidays and gift-giving, Valentine’s Day comes around and presents itself as another gift-giving occasion. 

Etiquette from the holidays remains relevant for Valentine’s Day. Top gifts are wine, chocolate and flowers, often in that order. Food and entertainment magazine “Bon Appetit” advises otherwise in its holiday 2014 issue: “Resist the temptation to bring wine (unless asked). Many hosts will have a plan for the wine they wish to serve.” Instead, the magazine suggests buying high-quality bottles of olive oil, vinegar or liquor. 

Gift-giving gets more complicated as Valentine’s Day approaches. Gifts take on another level of meaning as they signify the status of a relationship between two people interested in one another. The more serious the relationship, the more expensive, elaborate or personal the gift. An important part of enjoying Valentine’s Day is being prepared and thinking ahead for your loved ones.

Writing a Valentine’s card is a thoughtful — and inexpensive — way to show your love and care for someone. It can be challenging, whether you have been married for years or if it is your first Valentine’s Day with your special someone. Hallmark writers offered up sample messages on what to write and how to make it personal on the company’s website.

Whether for significant others, family or friends, you can emphasize certain words by underlining, using all-caps or italics. No matter what you say, use words that sound like you. Try drafting your message first on scratch paper before taking pen to card to avoid scratching out words or conveying unintended messages.

Hallmark writers describe signing off on your card as “the bow on top of your message.” For friends and family, closings include: “With love. Love always.” For romantic love: “All my love. XOXO. Kisses.”

[A version of this story ran on page 8 on 2/12/2015 under the headline “Your guide to Valentine’s Day gifts"]