Need an internship? Here are some of Gainesville’s best

We all know what employers want: high GPAs, dazzling letters of recommendation and myriad extracurricular activities.

Arguably though, the most important section on a resume is the work experience.

Take advice from what several fellow UF students found as awesome internship opportunities here in their own college town.

Law:

Noa Marks, a UF business economics major, works as a legal intern for UF’s Student Legal Services.

While at the office, Marks assesses processed files in regard to property damage, housing and insurance.

After filing the information into the computer system, Marks generates statistics and important details that pertain to the incident so lawyers are able to decide on the proper course of action based on information from past, similar cases.

Marks said she has learned a lot from her internship. “What was really interesting about this is how many people truly believe their case is rare and they’re the only ones having their specific legal issues,” she said. “Students should never feel alone in that regard.”

Business:

Jerry Declasse is a psychology and business major at UF who ran into the CEO of the event app company, Feathr, at an Innovation Academy event.

Declasse works about 20 hours a week using “Twitter to increase brand presence and generate leads for the company.”

Declasse said he is excited about his internship. “I’m really into the start-up scene and entrepreneurial spirit,” he said. He hopes to start his own business after receiving his college education, he said.

Journalism/Communications:

Sophia Lee is a public relations major and director at HerMANual, an online women’s magazine devoted to empowering fellow females in their love relationships.

Though HerMANual operates with a small, intimate staff, Lee said it has a broad international presence of about 41,000 visitors each month.

Lee said she is responsible for “facilitating the internship program, creating public relations campaigns to expand our online presence and brainstorming article ideas with the interns.”

In the grassroots stage of Lee’s internship, she was involved in the content development and logistics of the women’s magazine startup.

Lee said she loves her internship because of the people she gets to work with. “Our team is so close knit and respectful of one another, and it’s truly a unique experience that’s difficult to find elsewhere.”

Medical:

Christine Adams is a pre-dental student, biotechnology major and research assistant at Dr. Özlen Yilmaz’s lab at the Emerging Pathogens Institute at UF.

At the lab, Adams is responsible for daily tasks like cleaning labware and updating monthly expenditure reports, but she is also in charge of preparation, which includes testing samples, running experiments, and passaging bacteria.

“I really enjoy laboratory work and learning new techniques and seeing results that help the other members of the lab,” Adams said.

Whether it’s researching legal cases, tweeting, writing up campaigns or running purity samples, Gainesville certainly has a lot to offer in terms of internship opportunities. Check out UF’s Career Resource Center, listserv or hallway bulletin board the next time you’re looking for a resume booster.