“Gainesville,” a new show on CMT network, is set to air back-to-back episodes Aug. 20 at 10 p.m. While some may be excited that a reality television series will take place within their own city, others don’t think “Gainesville” will accurately represent all aspects of the show’s namesake city.

Dylan Cone is a 21-year-old Santa Fe psychology junior. He began a petition with his friend protesting the airing of the series.

“It started as a joke with me and my friend Mike,” Cone said. “There wasn’t a main objective with it. But then friends started sharing it and it got out of control.”

As of press time, the petition has more than 1,200 supporters.

According to the petition, “It is my hope to avoid a stereotypical view of Gainesville, much like ‘The Jersey Shore’ did for the entire New Jersey community. The characters on the show do not accurately represent the citizens of our fine city of Gainesville…”

Cone said the aim is not to overthrow the show; he knows that isn’t likely. However, he isn’t happy with the name of the show, and that’s why he wants to raise awareness now.

“I think it represents those seven kids…I don’t think it represents the entirety of Gainesville,” Cone said. “Having a show named ‘Gainesville’ just showing one part of what it is isn’t representative of the city.”

Cone said he won’t watch the show.

Others, however, are pleased with the idea of a reality show happening in their backyard. Amy Kirk is a UF finance freshman. 

She had not heard of the show, but after watching the sneak-peek trailer, she said she enjoyed it.

“I’d definitely watch it,” Kirk said. “You see the social aspects and school as well. It’s like real life.” 

Kirk went on to say that even though the cast of “Gainesville” may appear a certain way, one shouldn’t judge the show by its preview.

Alex Solis is a graduate of UF. He had heard of the show, but hadn’t seen the trailer yet.

“It’s most likely just a portrayal of the area outside Gainesville,” Solis said. “There aren’t any minority characters. Gainesville has minorities.”

He also said that CMT is probably catering to its audience, and the show might not be for everyone.

“But business is business,” Solis said.

Richard Coons, a UF mechanical engineering freshman, began his college career about six weeks ago. He had heard of the show but had never seen the trailer.

“I’m new here, but from what I know, (UF is) different from what I saw,” Coons said. “If it didn’t have the name ‘Gainesville,’ I wouldn’t have otherwise known it was Gainesville.”

Despite the growing number of people who support the petition, Cone knows it’s almost impossible that Viacom will cancel the show.

“Although the petition started as a joke between friends,” Cone said, “I think it is really cool that it has become an outlet for the community to have their voice heard…I think that it is a good way for everyone to get their opinion out there.”