It’s that time of year again — Twitter feeds and gossip sites are abuzz with speculation. It’s award show season, and all eyes are on Hollywood’s finest. January kicks off a jam-packed period of glamorous gowns, surprises and snubs, and even the occasional wardrobe malfunction.

What (And Who) To Watch:

Every year, I divide the numerous nominations into three categories (known affectionately as “the trophy three”): favorites, underdogs and “that got nominated?!”

This year, all three groups are full force in their selections.

Favorites: “Argo,” “Zero Dark Thirty,” “Lincoln.”

These three are your typical awards season darlings, ranging in their patriotic-centered dramatic forte from finding Osama Bin Laden (“Zero Dark Thirty”), to depicting one of the nation’s most famous figures (“Lincoln”). Plus, all three have leading actors who are no strangers to the Academy and its precursors.

Underdogs: “Django Unchained,” “Silver Linings Playbook.”

These films are the ones being hyped by both critics and crowds. Both “Django,” the latest from Quentin Tarantino, and “Playbook,” a film-festival feature, have stark performances from stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Lawrence that have had everyone talking.

“That Got Nominated?!”: “Salmon Fishing In The Yemen,” “Hotel Transylvania.”

This year more than any, the animated features seemed to be lacking. Less-than-stellar flicks, including Adam Sandler’s “Hotel Transylvania,” scored some nods. As for “Salmon Fishing in The Yemen,” to me, it appears this is a filler nomination among the other more-notable features.

How to catch up:

• Check out the cinema:

There is no better prep for awards season than sitting down with a bucket of popcorn and watching the nominees themselves. Both of Gainesville’s Regal Cinemas and the Hippodrome have nominated flicks on the marquee.

• Read the blogs (all of them):

If you want all-around coverage, blogs are the best places to read up on it all. From the LA Times’ “The Envelope” to your average movie fan’s personal place, there are lots of picks and predictions for your online reading pleasure.

• Tune in:

The Golden Globes are on Sunday at 8 p.m. on NBC.