The first of the Presidential debates aired Wednesday, but the truly thrilling political warfare is on Showtime’s returning hit drama “Homeland.” The show’s second season debuted Sunday, and fans all over America were shocked to discover what secrets were revealed.

Last season, Carrie Mathison, a bipolar CIA agent, became obsessed with the idea that an American prisoner of war was “turned” into a terrorist by al-Qaida forces.

Sergeant Nicholas Brody was indeed “turned” while held hostage, but not in the way we were led to believe.

While captive, Brody taught a terrorist’s son to speak English. He developed a bond with the boy and secretly adopted the child’s religion as his own.

Brody’s newfound faith remained strong, even after returning to America. Secretly using Islamic prayers and his fame, the sergeant won a seat in Congress.

Expect Brody to climb the political ladder even further, because Sunday’s premiere hinted at an invitation to run as vice president. But that invitation may be rescinded now that it is coming to light that the American war hero “turned” Muslim.

New storylines create new theories to unravel, so this season will likely be as successful as its predecessor.

Besides breaking ratings records, the freshman season of “Homeland” earned two Emmy awards, for outstanding drama series and outstanding writing. The show also won best drama series bragging rights from the Golden Globes and the Critic’s Choice Television Awards.

Lead actress Claire Danes took home an Emmy, Golden Globe and Critic’s Choice Award for her role as Carrie Mathison.

English actor Damian Lewis received an Emmy for his portrayal of Sgt. Nicholas Brody.

“Homeland” airs on Showtime Sundays at 10 p.m.