The holidays may be over, but the second-best time of the year is just beginning — and Trophy Hunting is back once again to cover it all! Awards season kicks off with the 72nd annual Golden Globes, which highlights the best of the year’s film and television. What makes this ceremony stand out is its dual focus on both mediums rather than just motion pictures, as well as the distinction of Drama and Musical/Comedy categories. Let’s review some of the most notable nominees and the major contenders leading the way. (Note: These picks are my own based on my research and personal viewing.)

Best Motion Picture, Drama

The Front-Runner: “Boyhood”

RichardLinklater’s 12-years-in-the-making film about a boy’s growth from ages 5 to 18 has been receiving heavy critical acclaim throughout the past year. It has already won a case full of statues from film festivals around the world.

The Underdog: “Foxcatcher”

The Steve Carell-led story of an Olympic-winning wrestling duo and their sociopathic sponsor has intrigued audiences this year, particularly with Carell’s unrecognizable transformation into coach John Du Pont.

Who Will Win: “Boyhood”

Though strong competitors “The Theory of Everything,” “Selma” and “The Imitation Game” make this category very close, the buzz factor of “Boyhood” may give it the determining edge.

Best Actor, Drama

It’s Anyone’s Game…

This is arguably the tightest category of the night. I had a hard time determining whether roles as British geniuses (Eddie Redmayne in “The Theory of Everything,” Benedict Cumberbatch in “The Imitation Game”), historical leaders (David Oyelowo in “Selma”), eerie pseudo-freelance journalists (Jake Gyllenhaal in “Nightcrawler”) or the aforementioned Carell would be the one to take home the statue.

Best Actress, Drama

The Front-Runner:  Reese Witherspoon, “Wild”

Witherspoon’s turn as a wayward woman hiking her way through the West Coast has garnered the actress lots of accolades. The soul-searching journey that Witherspoon’s character takes is a departure from the rom-com roles the actress is known for.

The Underdog: Jennifer Aniston, “Cake”

The former “Friends” star’s turn as a woman who becomes involved with a widower (and, through hallucinations, his dead wife) intrigued critics this year. The role (and the accolades Aniston has been receiving so far) has sparked speculation that the actress may receive her first Oscar nomination.

Who Will Win: Reese Witherspoon, “Wild”

Though Aniston’s rough portrayal is a change from her usual well-maintained performances, it may not be enough to tame Witherspoon’s “Wild” ways.

Best Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy

Who Will Win: “Birdman”

It’s no contest — the Alejandro González Iñárritu-directed film continues to spark interest through its long-take style and Michael Keaton’s title role performance.

Best Actor, Musical or Comedy

The Front-Runner: Michael Keaton, “Birdman”

Keaton’s portrayal of a former A-list action hero turned Broadway comeback artist is widely regarded as one of the best performances of the year. While the role arguably treads the line between performance and real life (Keaton famously portrayed Batman in the Tim Burton live-action films), the tongue-in-cheek references to the theatrical world and celebrity stardom ironically stand out.

The Underdog: Christoph Waltz, “Big Eyes”

The man is a two-time Oscar winner. Where there is a Waltz, there is a way.

Who Will Win: Michael Keaton, “Birdman”

The power of the Waltz aside, Keaton’s got the critical and audience-wide momentum to win his first ever Golden Globe.

Best Actress, Musical or Comedy

Who Will Win: Julianne Moore, “Maps to the Stars”

Moore’s role as a damaged, aging performer has already won her Best Actress at the Cannes Film Festival. Although “Big Eyes” contender Amy Adams is an awards show veteran, the accolades Moore has already received for the role seem to give her the edge.

Moore is also nominated for Best Actress in the Musical/Comedy category, making her one of three actors nominated in dual categories this year, alongside Mark Ruffalo and Bill Murray.

Other Notable Categories

For Best Supporting Actress, Patricia Arquette of “Boyhood” faces off against nominees including Emma Stone of “Birdman” and Madame Oscar herself, Meryl Streep of “Into the Woods.” In the Supporting Actor category, Mark Ruffalo (“Foxcatcher”) and Edward Norton (“Birdman”) may come head-to-head with dark horse nominee J.K. Simmons (“Whiplash”).

Best TV Series, Drama

It’s Anyone’s Game…

Since “Breaking Bad” and “Boardwalk Empire” (both previous winners) finished with their respective runs, the likelihood of series like “The Good Wife,” “House of Cards” and “Game of Thrones” winning may have significantly increased.

Best TV Series, Musical or Comedy

The Front-Runner: “Orange is the New Black”

The Netflix series has only gained more traction with its second season — both critical and audience acclaim make it a sure-fire leader in this year’s category.

The Underdog: ???

Will streaming competitor Amazon Prime’s “Transparent” take the lead? Or will Lena Dunham’s self-deprecating charm on HBO’s “Girls” overpower the competition?

These are only my predictions, but be sure to tune into the ceremony on Sunday on NBC at 8 p.m. to see who wins, who loses and who hosts Tina Fey and Amy Poehler will make fun of. Tweet your picks @AlyssaVHolcomb.

[A version of this story ran on page 7 on 1/8/2015 under the headline "Trophy Hunting 2015: Golden Globes Preview"]