Danny Pynes

Danny Pynes, born and raised in Gainesville, has been a fixture on the local hip-hop scene for many years. After years of working and cultivating his sound, Pynes hit it big, touring around the country and gaining fans around the world. I sat down with him to talk about his Gainesville roots and making it to the big stage.

Kirsten Chuba: How did you get started?

Danny Pynes: I was kicking around the local scene for a few years before getting noticed by a music group out of Orlando that helped me get out and tour the country a good bit. It’s just one of these things that kind of progressed naturally for me. Lots of shows, lots of hard work.

KC: How would you describe your sound?

DP: Hopefully it’s something unique but still accessible. I have a hard time staying inside the lines. My music is a blend of the things I like to listen to.

KC: What has your tour schedule been like?

DP: I’m at a bit of a slowdown period right now, I did a good amount of touring in the Midwest, Colorado and in the South for the “End Of Times” tour so now I’m in that in-between period where I’m just kind of taking shows as they come and working on new material really. I’m playing The Atlantic and the Top’s anniversary party on July 16 at The Wooly here in Gainesville, but other than that I’m not on the road that much at the moment.

KC: What are some things you like to sing about?

DP: I’m not sure it’s really what I like to sing about, in the sense that there’s any preference about what I create. Just like everyone else, I sit down at a blank canvas with my tools and let inspiration take place.

KC: Can you tell me about your album, “End of Times”?

DP: “End of Times” is a 10 song journey about life, love, youth and death in Anywhere, America. We released it last year in November, and you can find it wherever you listen to music, on your phone or whatever. It’s there. Do a search.

KC: What do you think about the music scene in Gainesville, especially for local musicians?

DP: Gainesville can be a super supportive music scene and has been for me, totally. I walked into a bar on University Avenue and asked to book a show and they said yes, and from there I’ve played my music across the country from California to New York, and I have fans from Japan to Iceland to South America. All of it comes from here. This is the epicenter of that, this scene, these people. It’s a great thing to be a part of.

Pynes will be performing July 16 at The Wooly, for a chance to see the local legend performing at home.

Know of any other local bands I should check out? Send Kirsten an email at kchuba@alligator.org.