Gainesville is home to a very diverse group of students, and in that particular spirit it also houses a diverse group of music venues to serve your auditory needs.

Whether you’re going to be dancing at one of the many clubs to your favorite DJs
while sipping on a gin and tonic or jamming to indie music with PBR in hand, there’s a venue to fit your style.

On any weekend night, you can stop in at 1982 to support
a fresh-off-the-block local band or fistpump the night away to the sounds of booming house music at The Vault. Here are some local favorites:

Tim and Terry’s Music & More

After having a few beers at your buddy’s house party in the student ghetto, stumble down to Tim and Terry’s Music & More, the two-story purple house behind Target Copy on University Avenue, for some live music any night of the week.

(Editors note: Try to drink responsibly, and don’t drink and drive). This bar/deli/convenience store/music venue has everything a college student could want.

Creative? Show off your musical talent at open-mic night, which usually takes up to four nights a week.

The front porch is also a great place to mingle and meet new faces.

Everyone is welcome and there’s never a cover charge. Food is served until midnight.

“It’s definitely a place that you don’t have to worry about what
you wear,” Sarah Plimmer, manager of Tim & Terry’s, said. “Come as you are.”

Common Grounds

There’s something different happening downtown at Common Grounds, 210 SW Second Ave., every night. If there’s no live show, they
promise to have happy hour all night long ($1 domestics and $2 imports.)

“We’re a little bit of everything,” said Jason Rockhill, co-owner of Common Grounds.

Big names like Gainesville-based ska band Less Than Jake (coming Sept. 23 and 24) and JJ Grey & Mofro (coming Oct. 27) have graced the stage, as well as popular local bands like Michael Claytor and his Friends and Paxico via Mexico.

What seems like a quaint, one-room venue can pack up to 400 people for a really popular band.

“We’re the kind of place that the ‘next big thing’
plays at,” Rockhill said.

Monday nights are karaoke. Fridays from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. are cookouts and happy hour on The Porch, the outdoor sitting area
of Common Grounds.

For shows, the venue is 18 and up with covers ranging from $3 to $17, with an additional $2 cover for those under 21. For nights with no shows, there is no
cover and it’s 21 and up.

1982

Video games, beer and music. 1982 doesn’t need much more of a description to bring the crowd.

Close to campus, 1982, 919 W University Ave., is a great place to see local bands play, enjoy free video games and hang out with friends.

Indie, hip-hop, reggae, ska and punk bands draw an average crowd of 100 people four to five nights a week.

“We get a lot of brand-new bands because we are open to booking them,” said Jennifer Vito, manager of 1982. “It’s really exciting
to see them two years later if they’ve made it big.”

The bar is open to a wide variety of music, both local and underground.

Monday nights are video-game night, which means $1 beer, no cover and no bands.

Tuesday nights are stand-up comedy shows. Wednesday nights are industry night.

1982 is all ages every night. Cover usually ranges between $5 and
$10 but depends on the the artist.

In addition to the live music venues in town, there are also a number of clubs where you can listen to the latest house or dance music.

The Vault

The Vault, 238 W University Ave., is one of Gainesville’s newest and most popular nightclubs open Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.

There is the occasional live music performance, but every night

Vault-goers get to experience the state-of-the-art lighting, sound and club environment.

Summer B-ers were able to see DJ Steve Aoki, mash-up artist Milkman and Boston-based rapper Sam Adams live at The Vault this July.

The club is 18 and up. Cover depends on the artist performing.

The Venue

The Venue, 233 W University Ave., is one of Gainesville’s main nightclubs and is guaranteed to always have a line out the door.

It’s mainly a dance club, but it also has live music on certain nights.

In recent months, country-music star Corey Smith and rock band Motion City Soundtrack have passed through to play a show at The
Venue. Bassnectar, a DJ from California, will be coming Sept. 15.

Aside from these, Gainesville has many more to offer.

All it takes is some looking around and the courage to try a new place in order to find your new favorite bar, and potentially your new favorite band, in town.