Georgia native Corey Smith has amassed a reputation for singing songs about feelin’ good. And just how good? Read on to find out why he wants to give you his music for free, why his fans are bloodthirsty and why John Mayer annoys him. Smith plays at The Venue tomorrow at 9 p.m. with tickets starting at $15.

How does it feel to be a Bulldog in Gainesville?

Gig at every big rivalry in every college town in the SEC, I look at it like that. It’s a lot of fun, but I hope that people know me for my music and my songwriting and not that I’m a Georgia football fan.

Tell us about your new album.

I’ve always written from personal experience about things that were important to me. I’ve never thought a lot about what people would think. If I did, I wouldn’t have written songs like ‘Purple’ or ‘If I Could Do It Again.’ I knew there were gonna be some fans that were not gonna like it, but if it’s about making records that were only attempts to get more people to like me, I wouldn’t be doing my job, right? 

What’s your writing process?

I think most of them are my attempt to resolve some sort of conflict I’m having internally. Writing for me is therapeutic. It’s my way of dealing with things. I don’t think a lot about what people are going to think of if I deal with my issues openly in the songs, then the songs will resonate.

What do you love about being on the road?

The food is awesome. Seeing the country, meeting the people. I just love to travel, but at the same time, I don’t like being away from my family.

Why do you let your fans download your music for free on your Web site when all your music is on iTunes?

I would rather have people listen to my songs than not listen to my songs. I love it when they pay for them. It’s great I can support my family, but more than that I just want people to listen to them. I just make it available to people. For me, it’s not about the money as much as it’s about the whole experience.

How do you think Twitter has influenced the music community?

I’m not sure about Twitter yet. I’ve been doing it for four or five months now, and I’m still not sure about it.  I think I delete more tweets than I post. No one cares about what I’m doing. As cool as I think John Mayer is, I don’t really want to know John Mayer. I think the more we get to know these people, the more flaws we are gonna find and the less we will respect them.

Craziest fan moment or experience?

One time, I got bit by a fan. I was taking a picture with this lady in Arkansas, and she was drunk and older. I take pictures with everyone every night, and she just reached over and bit me. Hard, almost drew blood, WTF. I was so pissed off. Damn lady. I don’t know how I’m going to explain the bite mark.