<p>Gainesville band Duppies has been a staple on the local music scene for more than a decade. The band has toured up and down the East Coast, but the group still regularly plays shows around town.</p>

Gainesville band Duppies has been a staple on the local music scene for more than a decade. The band has toured up and down the East Coast, but the group still regularly plays shows around town.

Over the last decade, Duppies has become a staple band on the Gainesville music scene. The band has long played at venues all over town and has even taken their show on the road up and down the East Coast. I sat down with lead vocalist and percussionist Brian Hiebel to talk the band’s start and success.

Kirsten Chuba: How did Duppies get started?

Brian Hiebel: Duppies started 12 years ago in Gainesville with eight members who wanted to play traditional Jamaican ska and reggae. We met randomly and were united by our former and founding bass player Juan Cardenas.

KC: How would you describe your sound?

BH: Duppies sound is first- and second-wave ska and rocksteady with a splash of two-tone ska and reggae.

KC: What has your tour schedule been like?

BH: We have multiple years of touring under our belt. Mostly East Coast and as far west as Texas. We have plans on hitting the Midwest and Canada in 2016.

KC: What are some of your favorite shows you’ve played in Gainesville?

BH: It’s hard to say. We’ve played regularly in Gainesville for 12 years. Some of the more fun shows would be playing with national acts like Slackers, the Toasters and other old school bands in the genre.

KC: How much music has Duppies released?

BH: We have released three albums (“Throw One Punch,” “One Thousand Bullets” and “Broken Organ”). “Broken Organ” best fits our current sound, but we still perform a lot of the old stuff live. We have plans on releasing a three- to four-song EP late 2016 or sometime early in 2017.

Duppies will play a variety of local shows in the next month, including Loosey’s on June 18 and High Dive on June 24.

Know of any other local bands I should check out? Send Kirsten an email at kchuba@alligator.org.