Get out your Versace apron, Adidas sweatsuit and chainz ‘n’ thangs. It’s time to hit the kitchen — 2 Chainz-style.

Hip-hop and rap artist 2 Chainz took his lyrics straight to the kitchen with a cookbook titled “#MEALTIME.” It comes as a bonus digital booklet to his album “‘B.O.A.T.S. II: Me Time” on iTunes. The album was released Sept. 10.

Nicolas Swain, a 21-year-old UF communications senior, said it’s in 2 Chainz’s nature to do something outside the box, like publish a cookbook.

“That’s 2 Chainz for you,” he said. “He’s just a funny dude.”

2 Chainz and Atlanta-based chef Aleem collaborated on the recipes, which include shrimp and grits, fried chicken and garlic mashed potatoes. The recipes reflect 2 Chainz’s love of seafood, he said in an interview with MSNBC.

Lauren Jadotte, a 21-year-old UF advertising junior, said 2 Chainz published the book simply to make money.

“He’s giving society what they want,” she said. “Foolishness.”

The recipes correlate with the tracks on the record. The chicken marsala calls for two pounds of chicken and to listen to “U Da Realest,” while the last step of making fried chicken is to sit at the head of the table and sing along to “Beautiful Pain,” according to the book.

Atlanta native 2 Chainz, born Tauheed Epps, was nominated for three Grammy Awards, according to the Grammy Award website. He is signed with Def Jam Recordings label, which also represents Kanye West, Rick Ross and Fabolous.

2 Chainz may not be a stranger to the music business, but Jadotte said she doesn’t consider him to be a true hip-hop artist.

“It’s an art form,” she said. “2 Chainz is spitting on it.”

However, she also said that it’s a smart business move, and that he’ll make money from it.

Bruce Floyd, UF social media specialist, also said he thinks it’s a smart publicity move, especially considering the hashtags 2 Chainz used in the titles of the album and cookbook. Hashtags create a common point for people to connect and to create a conversation.

“There isn’t going to be any confusion as to how to talk about the album on social media,” he said. “It’s pretty brilliant.”

On the cookbook publication, however, Floyd was not surprised. It seems like every celebrity has a cookbook these days, he said.

Kiana Robello, a 19-year-old UF psychology junior, said she is not impressed with the cookbook. He’s trying to be different, she said, but the hype surrounding the cookbook will blow over.

“I think he could’ve done something more impressionable,” she said. “He’ll never top Miley Cyrus.”

A version of this story ran on page 7 on 9/19/2013 under the headline "2 Chainz brings his lyrics to the kitchen"