RNCP
RNCP

After a 20-year “love affair” with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jonathan Savage decided to turn his obsession into a career. Inspired by the band to learn the bass at age 14, Savage moved on to create the Red Not Chili Peppers, a tribute to his musical idols.

The band currently consists of Savage on bass, Juan Sanchez on vocals, Angelo Dibello on guitar and vocals and Fede Aguilar on drums. The quartet has toured throughout the country as well as internationally, visiting Mexico, Brazil and Japan with plans to tour North Korea and Europe within the next year, Savage said.

The band’s Thursday night performance at High Dive will be its first appearance in Florida.

“Exploring new regions and connecting with locals through the common thread of music is the single most fulfilling part of being a touring musician,” said Savage.

Thursday’s set will consist of various Red Hot Chili Peppers hits and a few lesser-known tracks from throughout the group’s history, ranging from its Hillel days to more recent releases.

“There are, of course, too many incredible songs to play them all in one night, but we have a great set picked out to satisfy every era Chili fan,” said Savage.

The Red Nots will also feature improvised solos, making Thursday’s performance unique from any other the group has put on before.

“Fans can also expect the same excitement and organic energy that makes live music so unpredictable and enjoyable,” said Savage.

After receiving a recommendation from an old roommate, the Red Not Chili Peppers specifically chose High Dive to kick off its first-ever statewide tour.

“High Dive is a friendly neighborhood music venue where good people come to see good music,” said Pat Lavery, the venue’s event promoter. “Gainesville loves tribute bands...so we expect people to be excited.”

When asked on how he feels about the group’s upcoming performance, Savage said he is “looking forward to rocking Gainesville’s socks off” and recommends bringing “an extra tube sock if you’re shy.”

Local bands Jay Rogue & The Stoges and Aural Eyes will also perform at the show. Doors open at 8 p.m. for the 8:30 p.m. show. Advance tickets are available at ticketfly.com for $8 or $10 at the show.