emma’s revolution brings folk music back to social protest

<p>Visit the Civic Media Center on Sunday to listen to “Revolutions Per Minute,” the latest album from emma’s revolution.</p>

Visit the Civic Media Center on Sunday to listen to “Revolutions Per Minute,” the latest album from emma’s revolution.

Folk music became a generation’s voice of reason during one of the most politically charged eras in American history. Though the genre has since lost its place in today’s mainstream music, it remains a staple among activist communities.

Enter emma’s revolution.

The award-winning female duo, comprised of Pat Humphries and Sandy O, has become an internationally renowned act because of its songs promoting peace and universal human rights. Covering issues important to women and members of the LGBT community earned the group the opportunity to perform for the Dalai Lama while receiving critical acclaim from folk music legends like Pete Seeger.

On March 18, the two will bring their sharp wit and passionate vernacular to Gainesville’s Civic Media Center to promote their latest album, “Revolutions Per Minute.”

Their knack for using humor to attract attention to societal issues has earned them comparisons to Rachel Maddow and Jon Stewart and has opened doors to new collaborators, like Jethro Tull drummer Doane Perry.

“I consider myself very fortunate to have had the great pleasure and

honor of working with Pat and Sandy over the last few years,” Perry said. “Their music is natural

and organic and their innate artistic sensibility has the power to communicate

with intelligence, wit, grace, subtlety and humor.”

This mix of qualities has given the duo’s music a distinct flair and made it popular among Occupy Wall Street protesters. Winning awards such as the John Lennon Songwriting Contest has propelled Humphries and O to one of the most respected musical acts providing social commentary of grassroots movements.

Radio producer Jacob Dean works for programs, like The Thom Hartmann Show, that discuss the same controversial topics that emma’s revolution covers. Dean considers emma’s revolution’s music essential to the movements of the day.

“I love the grassroots, organic message that emma’s revolution delivers with each new album,” Dean said. “It’s truly a must-listen for any activist today. You’ll become an instant fan just like I did.”

Songs like their international peace anthem “Peace, Salaam, Shalom” were created in response to the 9/11 terrorist attacks to stop the accepted prejudice that began to become the norm in its aftermath. Doing so has made them fixtures at rallies and concerts promoted by human rights groups and nonprofit organizations.

The unit has been sought out to bring its music to events like the World Culture Open in Korea, Festival of Politics in Scotland, Vancouver Folk Music Festival, the UN World Environment Day and other rallies in Chile, England, Israel, Palestine, Nicaragua and Cuba.

The duo’s constantly hectic tour schedule of more than 200 concerts a year is due as much to the political change that its rhetoric inspires as it is the inclination to dance that its music inspires.

Folk DJ Rich Warren attributes emma’s revolution’s success to its ability to deliver a “dynamic performance with a social conscience.”

“They continue (to prove) that great topical and protest music is very much alive,” said Warren.

Political activist Emma Goldman’s declaration, “If I can’t dance, I don’t want to be part of your revolution,” has served as the slogan by which emma’s revolution has delivered its music, ensuring that listeners are having a good time while remaining socially conscious.

Sunday’s concert starts at 7 p.m. Tickets are available in advance for $12 at the Civic Media Center, online at www.emmasrevolution.com and $15 at the door.