Tuesday, March 19, 2024

The Jonas Brothers play show together after solo ventures

<p>Nick Jonas serenades the cheering crowd at the Jonas Brothers’ concert last week in West Palm Beach. The band recently released new music for the first time in years.</p><div> </div>

Nick Jonas serenades the cheering crowd at the Jonas Brothers’ concert last week in West Palm Beach. The band recently released new music for the first time in years.

The Jonas Brothers’ return to Florida was triumphant — and deafening.

Thousands of teenage girls welcomed the pop-rock band back to the stage last week in West Palm Beach’s Cruzan Amphitheatre.

The recently reunited brothers are touring the U.S. after releasing new music for the first time in four years, and if the screams Friday night were any indication, fans are thrilled they’re back.

But the men performing at the concert were not the boys UF students may remember from 2009.

“We grow up as well,” 25-year-old Kevin Jonas told me in a phone interview earlier that day. “We’ve progressed musically — the sound — but at the same, the way our content ... you know, there’s a lot of things we wouldn’t have talked about in the past or stories we wouldn’t have told in our music ... This time around, that doesn’t even exist.”

The show Friday wove those mature, no-longer-shackled-by-Disney elements together with staples from the band’s early years. The set list was interspersed with throwback hits and brand-new songs from their upcoming album.

The brothers opened with “First Time,” the new single from their to-be-announced album “V,” but followed it with 2009’s “Paranoid.” Then came “Pom Poms,” another recent, innuendo-filled single from the new CD.

When the fans didn’t know the words (for example when the band played songs like “Fall,” “The World” or “What Do I Mean to You”), they simply cheered — and shrieked — along.

“It’s incredible to see that our fans [have] stayed with us, and stuck with us, and grown with us,” Jonas said.

The show also made references to the time the brothers spent apart. Over the past few years, 20-year-old Nick Jonas and 23-year-old Joe Jonas explored solo projects.

Friday, they cleverly altered songs like “Who I Am” and “See No More” from those independent albums so the three could perform them together.

Despite the band’s break, their performance was stronger than ever. They danced across stage, played multiple instruments and ignited the audience with questions like “Are you feeling sexy tonight?”

Yet through it all, the brothers appeared to stay humble, shooting each other glances as if to say “Can you believe this?”

The show closed out with fan-favorite “Burnin’ Up,” and the crowd’s cheers brought the boys back to the stage for two encore songs: “Lovebug” and “S.O.S.”

As the brothers said their final goodbyes, I saw a girl, maybe 14, excitedly pulling up her shirt to flash the brothers her white cotton bra. A venue worker was frantically trying to convince her to pull it down.

“What are you thinking?” the worker yelled.

It wasn’t too hard to guess. After all, Joe had voiced the sentiment earlier in the night.

“We’re so happy to be back,” he said.

Contact Julia Glum at jglum@alligator.org.