From producing music and video content for artists in their Swamp Sessions, to hosting an annual showcase of Gainesville artists, Swamp Records has worked closely with the local music scene for the past three years.

For the first time, the student-run record label is accepting submissions from Gainesville artists for a spot as one of their flagship artists.

The team of more than 40 students will work alongside the flagship artist. Planning for this project started last Spring, said Stephanie Elkin, the co-president of Swamp Records.

“We had to make sure that all our ideas were in line with what kind of artist we wanted to find, what commitment level and what we wanted them to submit,” said the 21-year-old UF marketing senior. “It’s been really fun.”

So far, Elkin said the response has been very strong, with new submissions every day.

“I think it speaks to our reputation in the community, even though we are still in starter mode sometimes, people know what we have to offer in terms of that we are a bunch of students really dedicated to helping the Gainesville music cause,” she said.

The label focuses on developing a plan to fit the goals and needs of the artist.

“One of the benefits of being one of our artists is that you know you always have a big group of people in your corner, and with your band manager you have somebody that their entire job is how to make you successful,” co-president Joel Ramos said.

Swamp Records artists are assigned their own team for one-on-one attention that allows for specific focus on the artist’s goals and vision.

“The team works right with them to develop campaigns, do booking, do PR, partnership — really anything that they need,” said the 22-year-old UF public relations major.

Some of the Swamp Records teams include: branding, events, business, booking, and an artist and repertoire team.

Ideally the label wants to have a wide spread of genres. Currently, they are working with big local names Flat Land and The Savants of Soul.

“An ideal artist for us would be someone, or some group of equal caliber of (Flat Land or Savants of Soul) or equal quality of sound that explores an entirely different genre,” Ramos said, “that I think, especially in the Gainesville music community, there’s so much experimental and new unique music happening that it would be great to find someone that is not like everybody else that we can bring to a bigger stage.”

Swamp Records’ recent success was with Flat Land, a funk pop Gainesville based band that played the main stage at the Okeechobee Music Festival. The band was entered in the Battle of the Bands contest in early 2016.

“Through our team’s creativity, and just nonstop ambition we were able to win them a spot,” Elkin said. “We beat out over 800 bands to win them that spot on the stage, which is a huge opportunity for them.”

The Savants of Soul wrapped up their South East tour last month and opened for soul and R&B singer Charles Bradley back in February, Ramos said.

“Any opportunity we have to work with an artist, we are going to explore and try to make it happen,” he said. “We end up working with a lot of people in varying degrees of involvement…We try to involve with as much of the Gainesville music scene as we can.”

Although the UF-based label wants to help the Gainesville music scene grow, they also cater to students.

“Our mission for the organization is twofold,” Elkin said. “One, to give students that want to work in the music industry hands-on experience. Two, we want to serve the Gainesville music scene. We love it, we think it is really special and unique.”

“I would want to encourage anyone that makes music to send us their stuff,” Ramos said. “Even if you are not popular already. You don’t even have to be popstar material.”

Submissions of two-to-three song demos should be emailed to swamp.anr1@gmail.com. The final day to submit is Aug. 22.

“Our goal is to discover new music, everyone and anyone should be applying,” Ramos said.