DJ Tiësto brings Club Life College Invasion tour to Gainesville

<p>The DJ will perform a two-hour set.</p>

The DJ will perform a two-hour set.

He was voted No. 1 disc jockey in the world, and on Monday, Tiësto will hit up Gainesville in a performance at the Alachua County Fairgrounds from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m.

His Club Life College Invasion tour, presented by DBI productions, Insomniac, Committee Ent. and G-Spot Productions, will feature Tiësto spinning continuous electronic dance beats.

Tiësto will perform a two-hour set.

The DJ is reinventing the electronic dance scene by blending electronic trance music with club vibes, setting the standard for upcoming DJs.

According to tiestoblog.com, his performance for more than 25,000 people in Arnhem's Gelredome in ‘03 made him the first DJ to hold a solo concert in a stadium, and Tiësto is the first DJ to play live on an Olympic stage with his performance for the opening ceremony for the 2004 Summer Olympics in Greece.

Tiësto's new single, "Maximal Crazy," was released on iTunes Tuesday through his new record label Musical Freedom.

According to Dave Berg, producer of the event with DBI Productions, the tour will incorporate a $4 million high-definition video wall to accompany Tiësto's club theme.

"Think of it as a major rock concert," Berg said.

The outdoor event is open for fans of all ages. There will be entertainment provided by Midway, with rock climbing, bungee jumping and more. There will also be fireworks, food stands and a full bar at the event.

Tickets are available online at vor.us/523. Regular tickets are $35; VIP tickets are $76.

For more information on the Club Life College Invasion tour, visit tiestouniversity.com.

The Avenue got the chance to get to know Tiësto a little better, so take a peek at what the world's No. 1 DJ had to say.

What prompted this Club Life College Invasion tour?

"The college fans; they have reached out heavily on my social networks asking me to come play at their schools, so here I come! How could I disappoint them?!"

Have you noticed any differences in your concerts between the U.S. and other countries?

"The U.S. fans are more open to different genres of dance music being played together, while countries around the rest of the world are still more traditional and have a stronger preference to what style of dance music they like."

Do you have a preference between big concert venues or small ones?

"I don't, to be honest; I love (to) see the huge crowds going crazy, but there is something amazing about watching a smaller crowd go just as crazy in a more intimate setting. "

"Maximal Crazy" has just been released through Musical Freedom. Tell us about it.

"It's one of my favorite songs to play right now - the crowds go nuts for it! It has an amazing energy, and it turns the party up a notch at my shows."

Where did the name "Musical Freedom" come from?

"Musical Freedom comes from my desire to put out whatever music I believe in. The theory behind the label is celebrate creativity and diversity."

In the past, you usually joined with a company, like Coca-Cola or Armani Exchange, to get music to your listeners. Are you collaborating with any other companies now to get your music out in different ways?

"Working with brands is becoming a new distribution model. I really like the reach and creativity they offer. I recently worked with Heineken and SanDisk and am doing some things with a few other great partners in the near future."

You've done charity work in the past with Schools4Life. Will you be performing for any charities in the near future?

"I'd definitely love to in the near future. The dance4life program that I am an ambassador for has done an amazing job educating young people about HIV and AIDS, and we look for every opportunity to work hand-in-hand to reach my fans through my music and shows.

What kind of music do you listen to yourself?

"I listen to a lot of different types of music these days. Recently, I've been listening to everything from Bassjackers and Sandro Silva to Bon Iver and The Naked and Famous."

As a child, what did you first want to become?

"I always wanted to do something with music. I would always love playing music for my family and friends and watch them enjoy it, and I found the perfect profession to be able to keep doing just that."

How does your inspiration for tracks come to you?

"I find inspiration from everything around me. It can come from other music or from the different places that I travel to, but it can also come from movies, art or even other people."

Do you have any items that you simply cannot travel without?

"My iPhone!"

If you were to go into a recording studio filled with instruments, which instrument would you pick up first?

"Definitely the piano, though I'd struggle to pick it up of course!"

What do you consider to be one of your greatest accomplishments?

"Musically, playing at the Olympics has to be pretty high up there, along with Ipanema Beach, but it's also meant a huge amount to me to use my position to work with charities and spread their message."

The DJ will perform a two-hour set.

Tiësto will bring his Club Life College Invasion Tour to the Alachua County Fairgrounds Sept. 26.