New study shows drinking leads to disrupted sleep

You will not catch John Mylott in a crowd of drunk Midtown bar patrons Saturday night.

You will not catch him drinking a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon beer before passing out on a couch.

According to a recent study, Mylott will sleep a lot better than those who do.

A new review of studies, published in Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research, says that while alcohol does allow people to fall asleep faster, it disrupts rapid eye movement sleep.

According to the study, the more you drink before bed, the greater the REM sleep disruption. REM sleep happens about 90 minutes after falling asleep. It is also the stage of sleep when people dream and it is thought to be restorative. Disruptions in REM sleep may cause daytime drowsiness and poor concentration.

Mylott, a 20-year-old UF business administration senior, works at the Department of Recreational Sports as a wellness appraiser and personal trainer.

“If someone is saying that they’re drinking to fall asleep, I just think they’re trying to find another excuse to consume alcohol because there are safer and more beneficial ways to get yourself to fall asleep,” Mylott said.

When Mylott started college, he began to have trouble staying asleep. He then began to take a supplement called ZMA. Mylott said ZMA is a natural substance composed of zinc, magnesium and vitamin B6. As a powerlifter, Mylott takes the supplement after his workouts to replenish minerals lost in the recovery process. It also enhances his REM sleep.

Mylott said drinking alcohol lowers testosterone while raising cortisol and estrogen levels. The latter two hormones are the primary triggers of fat storage in the body. Alcohol will cause undigested food in your system to be absorbed as fat, instead of used as energy.

Maureen Miller is the director of UF’s GatorWell Health Promotion Services. She said the study reiterates the same talking points she tells students in GatorWell’s on-campus health presentations. She also said most students are aware that drinking alcohol will not give them a deep sleep.

“Students have been hearing about this for a while,” Miller said. “But it’s always good to remind them even if they are aware of it.”

Miller said that limiting yourself to one drink per hour, along with drinking water, can help to regulate sleep quality.

Students can find more information on alcohol prevention, sleep and other health topics on the GatorWell website: gatorwell.ufsa.ufl.edu.