Calling all money-saving students: Credit union is hiring young rep

One Florida credit union is looking to pay $25,000 plus perks for a hip representative to attract younger customers.

Tropical Financial Credit Union of South Florida is searching for a new “spokester,” a trendy version of a spokesperson, to connect with people ages 18 to 25 through social media and to lend personal finance advice.

Anyone interested in the position can visit www.youngfreeflorida.com, create a video saying why they would make a great spokesperson and write an entertaining finance-specific blog post.

The winning spokester will receive a $25,000 salary with benefits.

In addition to the salary is an Apple MacBook Pro notebook computer with Adobe Creative Suite software, a high-definition video camera with a microphone and accessories, an iPhone with a paid contract and a vehicle to drive, according to the Young & Free Florida website.

“I’ve always heard of Tropical Financial Credit Union, since I’m from South Florida,” said 19-year-old telecommunication sophomore Peta-Gay Sheerwood. “But I always thought it was for older people.”

The credit union’s spokester will connect with the state’s young crowd by offering a translation of financial needs to his or her peers, according to the Young & Free Florida website.

Sheerwood said she thinks it’s smart for the company to reach out to college-aged people because everyone connects through social media sites like Facebook and Twitter.

“If a company or organization now doesn’t have some sort of social media, then they’re in the past, since that’s how everyone communicates now,” Sheerwood said.

Amy McGraw, vice president of marketing for the credit union, said the spokester position is a better way to connect with the young generation on their terms.

“We, as credit unions, need to adjust and shift our thinking when connecting to this generation,” McGraw said.

The position entails offering financial tips for situations like purchasing a car, applying for a credit card and budgeting finances.

“We’re excited to see what’s out there since we know Florida is full of talent,” McGraw said. “This would be an exciting year for someone.”

All entry forms should be completed by May 7 before 3 p.m.