Though UF was widely considered to be a young team because of the small size of its senior class, the Gators are among the most experienced teams in the nation.

Because of the key contributions of then-freshmen, such as Tim Tebow, Percy Harvin, Brandon James and Brandon Spikes, the Gators claimed both a Southeastern Conference Championship and national championship in 2006 when that group of players was just freshmen.

The players who played then admit their roles have changed since that SEC championship game. Tebow was backing up starter Chris Leak, Spikes was backing up starter Brandon Siler and Harvin provided a change of pace rather than being the go-to guy he is now.

"Things are definitely different this go-around," Tebow said. "It's been fun every step of the way. In 2006, everything was new for me, everything was a first. My first time playing in the Swamp, my first time playing a road game, my first time going for it on fourth down. I was blessed to do that as a freshman."

Older players, like Tebow, can also provide insight to their younger teammates like defensive backs Joe Haden and Major Wright, who were mere spectators when the Gators claimed that SEC title.

Though, according to Tebow, their advice can only go so far because nothing can replace experiencing those big moments yourself.

"We can talk to them, and they can see all the highlights, but they'll see how we prepare and how we handle it, and they'll be fine," he said.

Taking on that type of leadership role is something Tebow knew he would have to do as the Gators made the transition from Leak to Tebow.

There was a lot for him to learn:

"Being the starting quarterback and having the ball in my hands on every play and being a leader of the team and having control of the offense and everything - that's a big difference," he said. "Feeling like a leader on the team and going out there to put my team in the best position to win games."

The Gators may be without one of their top weapons against Alabama this weekend. Harvin, who suffered an ankle sprain in last weekend's game against Florida State, didn't practice on Tuesday and is listed as questionable for the conference championship.

Whether Harvin plays on Saturday or not, the Gators are confident they will be able to adequately replace his big-play ability with contributions from freshmen running backs Chris Rainey and Jeff Demps, along with the leadership of the upperclassmen.

"I hope we do get out to an early lead, that's our goal. But I think we'll be able to handle it with everything from this year and in the past that our older guys have been through," Tebow said. "If they jump out and get something going we'll be fine we just have to manage our highs and lows."