Will Muschamp has made some big moves in his short time as Florida’s coach, but Monday may have been his best day yet.

Cornerback Janoris Jenkins decided to return for his senior season, UF announced Monday morning, despite being projected as a first-round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft by most analysts.

“After careful consideration, I’ve made a decision to return to school for my senior year,” Jenkins said in a statement.

“I spent some time with my family and coach (Will) Muschamp and came to the conclusion it was in my best interest to return to school. Coach Muschamp was very supportive throughout the whole process, regardless of my decision, but he wanted to make sure I had all of the facts. I’m looking forward to working toward my degree, completing my rehab and getting back on the field with my teammates.”

Jenkins first made his intention known Sunday night when a Twitter account under his name posted, “Gator Nation I’m back...” That tweet was confirmed to be accurate early Monday morning.

The rising senior, who was ranked by ESPN draft expert Todd McShay as the No. 11 overall player in this year’s draft class, will return to a young secondary that will need to replace strong safety Ahmad Black, who led the team with five interceptions this season, and possibly free safety Will Hill, who is rumored to be leaning toward entering the NFL Draft.

Jenkins will be expected to help anchor a defense under the instruction of new UF defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, who has coached in the NFL for 10 seasons.

“I’m excited that Janoris has made a decision to come back to school,” Muschamp said. “I would have supported him in whatever decision he made, but I commend him for making a mature decision. It would have been real easy for Janoris to make an emotional choice and leave early, but with our contacts in the NFL, we were able to assist him in understanding his draft status and he made an educated decision that will be beneficial to him in the long term.”

This season, Jenkins played in all 12 of UF’s regular-season games before missing the Gators’ matchup against Penn State in the Outback Bowl after undergoing shoulder surgery.

Jenkins played almost the entire year with a torn labrum, and he can now rehab the injury before next season.