Bookmark this series to stay up to date on the #BlackLivesMatter movement in Gainesville and UF.
They say the stories point to a harmful past that informs a challenging present for Black lives at UF
From the removal of the Old Joe confederate statue to the renaming of J.J. Finley, Williams has been a community advocate for years
Gail Johnson proposed a pause on the development of high-end apartments on Seminary Lane, an affordable housing complex in a historically Black neighborhood that was demolished in 2009
Incumbent Sheriff Sadie Darnell and Clovis Watson Jr. discussed the response to COVID-19, police accountability, the school-to-prison pipeline and decarceration
As Black Lives Matter protestors continue to call for change, many people feel as if Independence Day shouldn’t be celebrated at all until everyone is considered equal
Thousands have protested police and racial violence. About 500 UF students and staff joined the conversation with the founders of the Black Li…
While the sheriff’s office says #8cantwait measures are in place, a Gainesville activist said the community needs more than compliance
UF and Alligator alumnus Zachary Lee shares his thoughts on the removal of the university's "Gator Bait" game day cheer
UF is already in the process of transitioning from one required course to many courses from which a student can choose
The March for Freedom will take place at 11:30 a.m. and begin at A. Quinn Jones Center. It concludes a week of solidarity and activism for students.
While Liberty Woodley is named in the SG resolution, it is unclear if the university rescinded her admission
Branden Pearson apologized Friday morning after messages containing racial slurs and other offensive language surfaced
In the midst of grief and anger, Della Mosley is working to make the week as impactful as possible
The order will direct the SG Diversity and Programming Committee to prepare recommendations to address racism at UF, Pope wrote in an email to The Alligator
A routine interaction with police shouldn’t be a prison sentence, said one UF student. For black Americans, it often is.
43 updates to this series since Updated
COVID-19 Daily Numbers
The Alligator Podcast
Find a local business
- Fuchs sees UF on top as students hit rock bottom
- ‘So you think we’re playing?’: Photo of crowd outside bar creates controversy in Gainesville
- UF law students express dissent on hired UCF professor
- UF professor shared politically charged, misleading COVID-19 information with students
- “A wild ride”: Liv+ residents experience WiFi outages, unfinished rooms after delayed move in
- UF’s COVID-19 dashboard altered this week; nearly 1,300 students and faculty test positive in three weeks
- Students torn over limited attendance this season
- Despite all-SEC opponents, Gators draw easy schedule
- UF’s March Spring Break canceled, Winter Break extended by a week
- Gainesville restaurants take to the streets
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.