On March 6th, Madonna released her 13th studio album Rebel Heart

Madonna is a legendary entertainer who really needs no introduction at this point. She is a staple of pop culture and has been so throughout the decades. Guinness World Records acknowledges Madonna as the top-selling female solo act of all time.

Rebel Heart was released through Interscope. The production and songwriting was primarily handled by Madonna with co-writing and co-producing from artists such as Kanye West, Nicki Minaj, Avicii, and Diplo.

There are a number of different versions of this album, but this review will focus on the standard edition. This album begins with Living for Love. It combines shades of disco with EDM. With this album Madonna appears to be trying to bridge the gap between generations and genres with much success. The song sounds like the type of remix a contemporary European DJ would do of an old Madonna record. Madonna’s vocals are as great as they’ve ever been with this opening track. The next song is a country-tingled religious ballad with a wobbling bass. Madonna talks about doing drugs and having sex in an interestingly dark, yet fun way. Unapologetic Bitch is a reggae influenced rap tune that boasts Madonna’s confidence. The songs that follow continue to have a dark rap-esque vibe to them. Throughout this album Madonna mixes serious topics such as depression, feminism, war, and conspiracy theories while mixing them with partying and drugs. Iconic features Chance the Rapper and Mike Tyson in the most surprising features on the album. The album closes with Wash All Over Me. In a slower piano-driven ballad that really draws attention to her distinct vocals. It is a decent ending to an overall very diverse album. This album was dynamic but cohesive and has exciting production and catchy lyrics.

Album Rating: 8.5/10