FYE: What you should know about American Horror Story; Freak Show so far

The CEO of FX, John Landgraf, recently spoke about the upcoming new season of the show American Horror Story titled Freak Show. The new season follows performers at a carnival freak show, as the title reveals. Landgraf has said that American Horror Story's seasons have alternated between "brash and campy" like in the most recent season, Coven, and "dark and brooding" like in the previous season Asylum. Freak Show, he said, is a combination of both types. It will have some humor in it, but will also have a dark feeling to it. If you are new to American Horror Story, each season is a completely different theme and story, but most of the time the same actors come back to play different characters with some new additions to the cast as well; good news if you've never seen the previous seasons because you can jump right in and you haven't missed anything! This type of show is typically called an anthology. So, for those of you that are excited for Freak Show, here's what we know about it so far. 

The Cast

Show favorites Jessica Lange and Sarah Paulson will return to AHS for the new season. Evan Peters, Kathy Bates, Angela Bassett, and Frances Conroy will all return to the show as performers in the freak show. Other returning cast members include: Denis O'Hare, Emma Roberts, Jamie Brewer, and Gabourey Sidibe. This is an all-star cast. They have done amazing in the previous seasons and with the theme of this new season, they will have all the material to work with to be even better. There will also be some newcomers this season including: Wes Bentley (You may know him as Seneca Crane in The Hunger Games), Michael Chiklis (The Shield) and Finn Wittrock (All My Children).

The Setting 

Freak Show will take place in 1950's Jupiter, Florida even though the show is shot in New Orleans. This was surprising to me because I have family that lives in Jupiter and I go there all the time. It never seemed the least bit "freaky" to me. It's actually a really pretty area. I'm excited to see what Jupiter in the 1950's looked like and how it will relate to the Freak Show theme.  

The Whaaat?

Sarah Paulson, who has been in several seasons of AHS, is returning to play conjoined twins! Yeah, you read that right. She revealed this on Twitter and even shared a photo of her in character.