Generic Crime
Generic Crime

A man was charged with attempted murder Monday in connection to the shooting of a 14-year-old girl, Alachua County Sheriff’s Office said.

Patrick Laverne Marks, 47, of Gainesville, is accused of pointing a gun at a 14-year-old girl who was shot by another man Saturday afternoon on Southwest 69th Terrace, according to a report.

Alachua County Fire Rescue took the girl to UF Health Shands Pediatric ER with three gunshot wounds, the report said.

Neighbors split up a fight among the girl, Marks and an unnamed boy at the intersection of Southwest 19th Court and Southwest 69th Terrace, the report said. Marks and the boy drove away in a red Mustang.

About 15 minutes later, the girl and two other people were walking down Southwest 19th Court when the Mustang came back, the report said.

Marks stood near the car and pointed a gun at the group while the other armed man ran toward them and said, “If you run, I’ll shoot you,” the report said.

The man shot the girl, hitting her twice in the left arm and once in the lower abdomen, the report said.

No additional arrests have been made, and the investigation is ongoing, said Lt. Brett Rhodenizer.

Marks was charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault and possession of a firearm by a felon, two counts each. He is being held in the Alachua County Jail in lieu of a $1.1 million bond.

Contact Amanda Rosa at arosa@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @AmandaNicRosa