Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Authorities charged a second man with attempted murder Tuesday in connection to the shooting of a 14-year-old girl.

Nathaniel Williams III, 26, of Gainesville, was accused of shooting the girl Oct. 20 at Southwest 69th Terrace, according to an Alachua County Sheriff’s Office sworn complaint. She was taken to UF Health Shands Pediatric ER with three gunshot wounds and survived her injuries.

Deputies charged Patrick Laverne Marks, 47, of Gainesville, with attempted murder two days after the shooting. A warrant for Williams’ arrest was filed the same day, according to court records.

Neighbors broke up a fight between the girl, Marks and an unnamed boy at the intersection of Southwest 19th Court and Southwest 69th Terrace, deputies said. The boy and Marks left in a red Mustang.

About 15 minutes later, Williams and Marks got out of the car on Southwest 19th Court when they saw the girl and two others. A boy was in the car at the time, deputies said.

Williams and Marks pointed guns at the group, deputies said. Williams yelled, “If you run, I’ll shoot you.”

He shot the girl twice in the left arm and once in the abdomen, deputies said.

Williams was charged with attempted murder, possessing a weapon as a felon and aggravated assault. He is being held in jail in lieu of a $1,350,000 bond.

Contact Alyssa Ramos at aramos@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @LysKRamos