Alachua County has 35 positive COVID-19 cases

<p>Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)</p>

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Alachua County has 35 positive cases of COVID-19 as of Sunday evening, according to the Florida Department of Health. 

At 11 a.m., the department’s daily report listed four new cases: a 25-year-old female, a 33-year-old male, a 22-year-old male and a 23-year-old male. At 6 p.m., another five cases were recorded: a 22-year-old male, a 30-year-old female, a 75-year-old male, a 37-year-old female and a 30-year-old female. 

The Alligator doesn’t have information about the names of these county and UF patients due to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, more commonly known as HIPAA, which protects patient privacy. 

But while older adults seem to be some of the most at risk when it comes to COVID-19, 42 percent of Alachua County’s cases are in their 20s, according to the daily report. 

Since Thursday, when the county recorded its first positive case not linked to travel, the majority of reported cases have been listed as either unrelated to travel or unknown to be travel-related. 

Paul Myers, the administrator for the county’s department of health, said Saturday that community spread, or spreading of a virus from an unknown origin, is now occurring in Alachua County. 

The total number of positive cases in Florida has risen to more than 1,000 as of Sunday evening, with the majority of the state’s cases residing in the southern part of the state, as shown by the department’s dashboard.

Contact Alex DeLuca at adeluca@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @AlexLDeLuca. 

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)