UF Associate Vice President and Dean of Students Jen Day Shaw has resigned.

UF decided not to renew her appointment after learning that Day Shaw provided a positive reference for a former student affairs official who was fired from UF last year for using his work computer to purchase pornography, UF spokesperson Margot Winick wrote in an email.

On Tuesday, because of UF’s decision, Day Shaw resigned.

“The university decided not to renew her appointment due to a critical error in judgment when she gave misleading and incomplete information in providing a positive reference to another university,” Winick said.

The reference, which Day Shaw sent to Florida Polytechnic University in March, was for former UF Title IX coordinator Chris Loschiavo.

Loschiavo, who was fired in August, reported to Day Shaw during the time he worked at UF.

“Fantastic. Incredibly knowledgeable. Amazing work ethic. Superb supervisor. Strategic. Great collaboration. My very highest endorsement!!! Hope you get him,” Day Shaw wrote in a March 17 reference email to Florida Polytechnic’s vice provost for student affairs.

Day Shaw, who has served as UF’s dean of students since February 2010, knew that Loschiavo was fired because of the pornography incident before she wrote his reference, Winick said.

Winick said Day Shaw, whose annual salary was $179,275, will be paid for unused vacation time.

Day Shaw declined to comment.

Associate Dean of Students Anthony DeSantis will now be the point person in the Dean of Students Office, Winick said.

Loschiavo was hired as Florida Polytechnic’s Title IX coordinator April 17, but he was fired a month later after his new employer learned of his full history, Florida Polytechnic’s Director of External Affairs Maggie Mariucci wrote in an email.

“The University became aware of issues related to pornography during his employment at UF on the afternoon of May 18,” Mariucci said. “The next day, his employment was terminated for non-disclosure of information.”

Mariucci said Florida Polytechnic is currently meeting to determine who will fill their Title IX coordinator position.