<p>Marshell Petrik, a 21-year-old UF mechanical engineering senior, shows off his $500 handcrafted pen at the Harn Museum's Art in Engineering event Oct. 8, 2015. The pen, made from real watch parts, took Petrik 40 hours to craft. He said he has been making pens from a variety of materials for six years.</p>

Marshell Petrik, a 21-year-old UF mechanical engineering senior, shows off his $500 handcrafted pen at the Harn Museum's Art in Engineering event Oct. 8, 2015. The pen, made from real watch parts, took Petrik 40 hours to craft. He said he has been making pens from a variety of materials for six years.

As a 3-D printer whirred behind her Thursday, Erin Winick spoke about the way she combines art and science.

Winick, a UF mechanical engineering senior, founded Sci Chic, a company that produces science-inspired accessories. At the Samuel P. Harn Museum of Art’s Art in Engineering event Thursday, she promoted the company, which launched that day.

"There’s a lot of creativity and art that goes into (engineering)," the 21-year-old said. "It’s more than just number-crunching."

This was the fifth year the Harn hosted the event in collaboration with the Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering, said Tami Wroath, director of marketing and public relations for the Harn.

"It’s showcasing the talents of the engineers we have here on campus," Wroath said.

About 100 students and faculty wandered through the halls of the museum, admiring the science-inspired artwork of more than 30 students.

UF interdisciplinary studies junior Emma O’Halloran Leach said she was drawn to the Sci Chic table because she had never seen a working 3-D printer before.

"I think it’s amazing these women are able to incorporate seemingly opposite things," the 20-year-old said.

All of Sci Chic’s products are 3-D printed, Winick said. They currently sell necklaces, rings and clutches, but Winick hopes to expand to clothing, like the handmade galaxy-print dress she was wearing.

"I can now say watching Project Runway is business research," she said.

Money made from sales is going back into the company, but Winick said she hopes to add a philanthropic arm.

Sci Chic is owned and operated by women, Winick said. She runs the company alongside Emily Huber, a UF mechanical and aerospace engineering senior.

Wearing a shuttle-inspired dress and a necklace modeled after the Apollo 11’s trajectory to the moon, Huber said she hopes to represent women in science through Sci Chic.

"We hope to encourage other women to become interested in science," the 21-year-old said.

Contact Alexandra Fernandez at afernandez@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter @alexmfern

Sara Hoffen, an 18-year-old UF industrial and systems engineering freshman, plays her flute at the Harn’s Contemporary gallery on Oct. 8, 2015. Hoffen played multiple Disney-themed arrangements and said she has been playing the flute for eight years.

Erin Winick, a 21-year-old UF mechanical engineering senior, talks about her new company, SciChic, and its products. Winick started SciChic to create and sell science-inspired jewelry and accessories. The products are made using 3D printers and different plastic and metal materials.

Emily Huber, a 21-year-old UF mechanical and aerospace engineering senior, talks about her 3D printer, which she made herself. It is one of two printers that creates SciChic’s products.