App delivers students $1 Chick-Fil-A meals

Chick-Fil-A
Chick-Fil-A

A California-based smartphone app delivered $1 Chick-Fil-A sandwiches to students at UF for five hours Thursday.

JoyRun, a community-based delivery app, offered chicken sandwiches to the first 100 users to download the app and invite five of their friends, said Mike Dominski, a company growth lead.

Students across 44 campuses use the app, which has been available on the iTunes store since 2016. Dominski said students can order whatever they want, whenever they want, including non-food items. People who have downloaded the app can also make money delivering orders.

“Students are always coming up with new ways to use the app,” Dominski said. “We’ve even had somebody order betta fish delivered to their house.”

Hannah Doyal was in Marston Science Library when she ordered a Chick-Fil-A sandwich, she said.

Forty-five minutes after she downloaded the app, it was delivered.

“I think it is beneficial since it’s a convenient way to get food and make money for people who want to deliver,” the 18-year-old UF mathematics and philosophy freshman said.

UF students working for JoyRun were in charge of delivering sandwiches during the promotion, Dominski said.

Abby Bukovich, a UF nance and information systems junior and JoyRun employee, said the business was overrun with orders as soon as the promotion started.

“We had 60 orders in just the first 40 minutes,” the 21-year-old said. “It’s been insane.”

About 100 UF students have volunteered to run deliveries since the application went live, she said.

“Our goal as JoyRun employees is to not be running orders in a few months,” she said. “We hope that more UF students will start volunteering to make deliveries after this promotion.”

Contact Max Chesnes at mchesnes@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter at @chesnesmax