Court orders UF to recognize Christian fraternity

A federal appeals court ordered UF officials Wednesday to recognize a fraternity that requires its members to be Christian.

Beta Upsilon Chi, also known as Brothers Under Christ, filed a lawsuit against UF last year after it was denied official student organization status because university rules prohibit religious discrimination.

While the discrimination lawsuit filed by the fraternity moves forward in court, judges from the 11th U.S. Circuit in Atlanta issued an injunction ordering the school to officially acknowledge the Betas.

The Alligator was unable to reach the fraternity members and their lawyer, Tim Tracey, who works for the Center for Law and Religious Freedom of the Christian Legal Society, by press time.

Tracey said in a July 2007 Alligator interview that it is only natural for a Christian group to seek Christian members.

Recognition of the organization will allow it to receive funding from Student Government, use the school's facilities and advertise on campus.

Other on-campus, faith-based clubs do not exclude students who practice other religions.

UF spokesman Steve Orlando could also not be reached for comment by press time.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.