UF education college forms partnership with Chinese university

About 15 Chinese students will arrive on campus this Fall as part of a UF College of Education initiative.

The partnership between Nanjing Xiaozhuang University and UF was announced at a ceremony held recently. The college approved a five-year agreement with the Chinese university. The students from the university will participate in a year-long teacher preparation studies initiative.

UF College of Education Dean Glenn Good said the students will not be the only ones learning during their time at UF.

“It’s an opportunity for educators here to understand the needs of diverse learners in the international population,” he said.

UF College of Education professor Danling Fu will be working as the students’ academic adviser. Fu, who is from China, first introduced the Chinese university to the college in 2011. Fu said the partnership displays UF on an international platform.

“There is a very strong teacher education component there,” she said. “This will make Gainesville more visible in China now.”

The Gainesville Chinese community has already been receptive to the initiative, Good said.

“These individuals have real pride in Gainesville, and they’re excited to show it to their Chinese counterparts,” Good said.

[A version of this story ran on page 1 on 1/23/2014 under the headline "UF education college forms partnership with Chinese university"]