UF expanding on-campus Greek life housing near Hume Hall

Houses-2.jpg
Houses-2.jpg

Forest land near Hume Residence Hall is being cleared for Greek housing.

Three acres of land are being cleared to accommodate the addition of three Greek chapter houses, said UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes. No contractor is currently lined up to start building on the property, but the site preparation is scheduled to be done by the end of this year.

UF began clearing the land in September. In the area, three lots will be available for purchase that are one acre each, Sikes said.

“It is in anticipation that up to three Greek chapters will build houses,” she said.

UF has seen a 150-percent increase in its Greek community in the past 10 years, resulting in a demand for more housing, Sikes said.

The Greek chapters that purchase the land will have to comply with UF’s construction codes, Sikes said. The university will not be funding the construction of any of the houses.

Alpha Phi Sorority announced on its website that it will be opening a chapter at UF in Fall 2017. It is unknown whether the sorority will purchase one of the lots.

Jack Causseaux, the director of sorority and fraternity affairs, said the lots will be available for purchase by current UF fraternity chapters, sorority chapters or potential chapters.

“There’s no telling what will be on the lots,” he said.