UF medical school residency programs ranked in top 10 for the South

For the UF College of Medicine, Tuesday was another day of high rankings — particularly for its residency programs.

Doximity, a professional network for physicians, partnered with U.S. News & World Report ranked five of UF’s programs in the top 10 in the South. 

According to Doximity’s website, more than 50,000 physicians were surveyed to collect data about program size, percentage of alumni who subspecialize and percentile rank of alumni-authored publications.

Among similar residencies in the South, the anesthesiology residency ranked at No. 2, and the neurological surgery program ranked at No. 3.

“I think we always knew that we had one of the top neurosurgery programs in the country, but this just confirms it and publicizes it.” said Brian Hoh, UF professor and program director of neurosurgery.

The otolaryngology program — for ear, nose and throat care — ranked No. 9. 

The obstetrics and gynecology residency program, along with  the orthopedic surgery residency program came in at No. 10.

Sama Ilyas, a UF biology senior, said she is not surprised by the high rankings because the college itself has been consistently ranked in the top 50 by U.S. News & World Report.

“I think this is great news for us as pre-med students at UF,” Ilyas, 21, said. “It’s exciting and humbling to be part of such an innovative and rising institution.”

[A version of this story ran on page 1 on 1/16/2015 under the headline “UF medical school residency programs ranked in top 10"]