UF Office of Sustainability to host sustainable travel fair at Reitz Union

Students who bike, skate and run to campus will be able to share how they’ve helped the environment today on the Reitz Union Lawn.

UF’s Office of Sustainability will hold its annual Sustainable Transportation Fair, part of the "What Moves You?" campaign, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. This year, the fair will feature three new electric cars, and students can discuss the different earth-friendly ways they get to campus, such as skating and biking, said Allison Vitt, outreach and communications coordinator for UF’s Office of Sustainability. The event is free to the public.

Vitt said students can learn about electric cars. The Nissan Leaf, Ford Fusion and Global Electric Motorcars (GEM) vehicles will be at the event along with their drivers for the driver or owner open forum.

UF materials science and engineering junior Kateryna Gorbanovska said she has been looking forward to the fair since her friend told her about it.

The 20-year-old said she’s excited about the University Police Patrol Division’s bicycle table because she’s been interested in biking to campus to be more sustainable.

"If one person decides to develop more sustainable habits, their friends will be more likely to," she said. "It will go from an individual to a collective level, and could lead to a change of culture about the environment, with people more willing to help out."

For the first time, the Office of Sustainability will take a large group picture, where attendees are encouraged to bring their own sustainable transportation method, like skateboards or bikes.

"This is to show the solidarity of people that are proponents of sustainable transportation, people that are using it, people that believe in it," Vitt said.