Gainesville Police arrested a local man Saturday after police said he charged at his nephew with a knife during an argument about undercooked noodles.

Officers arrested 54-year-old Richard Vine Newton on charges of aggravated assault and domestic battery, according to an arrest report.

At about midnight at Gardenia Gardens Apartments, Newton’s nephew told him the noodles Newton made were undercooked, according to the report. Newton started screaming and shoved him in the face. Then, his nephew shoved him back and left the apartment they share.

He went to another apartment in the complex, where Newton followed him. They started arguing again, and Newton rushed toward him with the knife while making slashing motions, according to the report.

Newton’s nephew was not injured and kept his distance from Newton until police arrived.

The witness who called 911 told police Newton was drinking alcohol throughout the night, according to the report.

During questioning, Newton said he had been drinking and said it can affect his demeanor. He said the argument never got physical and denied picking up the knife.

Officers found a kitchen knife behind the front door of the apartment, according to the report.

Newton was booked into the Alachua County Jail at about 2 a.m., where he remained as of press time in lieu of a $7,500 bond.

[A version of this story ran on page 8 on 1/27/2014 under the headline "Gainesville man boils over in noodles argument, later arrested"]