Tuesday, March 19, 2024
Generic Crime 1.PNG

A Gainesville man was accused of attempted murder on Wednesday evening.

Kenneth Sherman, 32, of 7410 SW 42nd Place, was arrested and charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault, shooting into an unoccupied conveyance, possession of a firearm and ammunition by a convicted felon, resisting arrest, introduction of contraband and possession of methamphetamine. 

Sherman walked up to the victim in the parking lot outside his apartment at 3121 SW 26th Drive Wednesday night, according to a Gainesville Police report. Sherman showed the victim a handgun tucked into the right side of his pant’s waistband.

The victim told Sherman to go away and to stop showing the firearm because there were children in the area, the report said. Sherman then walked away heading north before allegedly turning around and shooting at the victim.

The victim ran south on foot, avoiding getting shot, but a Ford truck in the parking lot was shot twice, the report said. A GPD officer arrived on the scene a few moments later and saw Sherman running away.

A few minutes later, Sherman was located and taken into custody outside 2628 SW 31st Place. He was found holding a black backpack with sparkly straps, the report said. Several GPD officers found a blue jacket, cell phone and a 9mm Taurus handgun wrapped in a black shirt nearby.

The clothing and items matched the description provided by the victim, the report said. The victim was also able to identify Sherman as the shooter.

When the victim was interviewed by police, he said he knew Sherman personally and had seen him shoot another victim in the lower leg June 6, the report said. The victim who was shot during that incident was treated at UF Shands Hospital but didn’t provide any answers when questioned by police.

Sherman denied shooting at either of the victims, the report said. When he was processed into Alachua County Jail, staff found he was carrying methamphetamine.

Sherman is currently being held at Alachua County Jail with his bond set at $1 million.

Contact Sarah Mandile at smandile@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @sarahmandile.