Generic Crime
Generic Crime

A Gainesville man ended up in jail after his snack craving turned into a criminal charge.

Gainesville Police arrested James Donald Robertson Jr., 61, on Wednesday morning after they said he attacked someone with a bag of potato chips.

It started at about 10:50 a.m. when Robertson wanted to buy some chips, according to a police report.

After finding his preferred chips at the Wal-Mart on Archer Road, an employee refused to sell them, according to the report.

When the employee asked Robertson to leave, he grabbed the bag of chips and threw it in the employee’s face and upper chest, according to the report.

Robertson later spoke with police and said he threw the chips because he was angry, according to the report.

As of press time, the brand of Robertson’s favorite chips is unknown.

Tara Haynes, the employee who denied Robertson of his snack, declined to comment.

Since 2009, Robertson has been found guilty on charges of loitering, disturbing the peace, escape, criminal mischief and trespassing, along with two charges of battery, according to Alachua County court records.

Police arrested Robertson on a charge of simple battery and took him to the Alachua County Jail where he was released Thursday morning on his own recognizance.

Contact Martin Vassolo at mvassolo@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @martindvassolo.