Generic Crime 1.PNG

UF Campus Security Authority informed students and faculty Tuesday about a sexual assault that was reported Monday.

The suspect wasn’t named but is known to the person who reported the Sunday assault. Because the subject wasn’t identified as of Tuesday, UF can’t take action, according to a UF public safety email.

UF is required to send out “timely warning messages” about crimes that are deemed a serious or constant threat to the campus community under the Clery Act, a federal law requiring universities to notify students and faculty of campus threats, such as sexual assault and gun violence. 

If a crime doesn’t occur under the Clery Act’s jurisdiction, which includes campus and UF properties, UF doesn’t need to send out an email notification, according to UF spokesperson Steve Orlando. 

This isn’t the first time a sexual assault has occurred on campus or arrested UF students this year. 

Jason O’Connell, a 20-year-old UF aerospace engineering junior and club hockey member, was arrested by The Gainesville Police Department Oct. 8 after being accused of raping a woman twice in September. 

Contact Asta at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter @astahemenway.

Staff Writer

Asta Hemenway is a journalism junior at UF and is the crime reporter at The Alligator. In her free time she enjoys watching Netflix, calling or texting friends and watching TikTok.