Generic Crime 1.PNG

A Jasper, Florida, woman is being accused of assault and child neglect after an argument on the I-75 in Gainesville Wednesday.

Jasmine Renee Jones, 27, was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and neglect of a child, according to an Alachua County Sheriff's Office police report.

Jones and the victim, who have a child together, were driving from Gainesville to Jasper when they got into an argument about who will have custody of their daughter, the report said. The child was in the back-seat when Jones reportedly took out a pocket knife and began stabbing the victim.

The victim was stabbed in the leg, chest and his right hand, the report said. In addition to the stabbings, Jones also allegedly began swerving among multiple lanes on the interstate.

When questioned, Jones initially accused the victim of punching her, but later gave conflicting statements, the report said. She later said she had no memory of the incident and that she was never struck, according to the report.

The officer noted that Jones had a torn shirt and a knot on the side of her face, but Jones told ACSO she didn’t know how the injuries appeared. The victim told police they could have occurred when she banged her head on the car window during the argument.

Jones is being held in Alachua County Jail with her bond set at $50,000.