Democratic gubernatorial candidate Andrew Gillum leading march at UF to Reitz

<p dir="ltr"><span>Andrew Gillum, a Florida governmental candidate, stopped in his hometown of Gainesville Monday at Mt. Pleasant United Methodist Church to meet and talk with supporters.</span></p><p><span> </span></p>

Andrew Gillum, a Florida governmental candidate, stopped in his hometown of Gainesville Monday at Mt. Pleasant United Methodist Church to meet and talk with supporters.

Amanda Rivera has been following Democratic gubernatorial candidate Andrew Gillum’s campaign since the primaries and will finally get to hear him speak today.

Gillum is hosting a march from Turlington Plaza to the Reitz Union starting at 2:30 p.m.

Rivera, a 21-year-old UF political science and psychology senior, said she already voted for Gillum at the Reitz Union Monday because of his gun-control platform but will still march to the polls.

“I really want to go and see the kind of turnout Gillum is bringing,” Rivera said.

Gillum will be speaking about his platform and the importance of voting, campaign spokesperson Kevin Harris wrote in an email.

The event will encourage early voting in Florida, Harris said. The Reitz Union opened as an early voting location Monday.

“We want to draw attention to how quick and easy early voting can be,” he said.

The Alachua County chapter of Moms Demand Action, a bipartisan gun reform advocacy group, endorsed Gillum’s candidacy and is volunteering at the march, said spokesperson Margaret Hamer. The group is asking students to wear red to raise awareness for gun reform.

Hamer said she is excited for students to hear Gillum’s speech and show support.

“It’s really a fantastic opportunity to come out and see a really electric and exciting speaker who has fantastic ideas for places like the University of Florida,” she said.

Contact McKenna Beery at mbeery@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @mckennabeery