East Gainesville infrastructure is under renovation. This is what’s happening.

Depot Ave Construction

Construction on Depot Avenue.

The city is spending $19.6 million to rebuild part of East Gainesville.

The renovations are part of the city’s Trans4ming East GNV project, which aims to restore infrastructure and landscaping in the area, wrote Chip Skinner, the assistant public information officer for the city, in an email. Three locations are currently under construction for the project and another starts in Spring.

timeline

Here is the scheduled renovation timeline:

• April 2017 to Spring 2018

Depot Avenue, from Southeast Seventh Street to Williston Road, will be reconstructed with brick sidewalks and have LED lighting.

Nov. 6 to Fall 2018

A roundabout will be added to Depot Avenue, between Southwest Sixth Street and Southwest Fourth Avenue. Improved drainage, sidewalks and trails will also be added to the area.

December 2017 to December 2018

South Main Street, between Depot Avenue and South 16th Avenue, will gain four pedestrian crosswalks and increased street parking, from about 80 to 100 spots.

Spring 2018 to Spring 2019

Southeast Fourth Street from Depot Avenue to Williston Road will be reconstructed and gain sidewalks on both sides of the road

Skinner wrote that while detours and construction have begun, the public understands these are short-term inconveniences.

“The public has been very supportive of the projects as the roadways were in poor condition and in need of resurfacing/reconstruction,” Skinner wrote.

County Commissioner Harvey Budd said East Gainesville is a good investment and there will be more projects planned in the future in the area.

“We’re now talking about taking the old fairgrounds next to the airport and converting that into some sort of industrial area,” Budd said.