Elections complaint filed against Ocala nonprofit supporting Olysha Magruder

<p>Photo courtesy to the Alligator</p>

Photo courtesy to the Alligator

An Ocala minority nonprofit spent hundreds on advertisements to support a state Senate candidate, according to a complaint filed with the Florida Elections Commission.

The complaint claims nonprofit Liberation Ocala African American Council bought at least three mail ads to support Olysha Magruder, a Democrat running for the District 8 Florida state Senate seat and attack Democrat Kayser Enneking, who they called a “puppet who will follow orders.”

Attorney Jason Blank’s complaint states the nonprofit made the ads for more than the $500 they are allowed to spend without being a registered a political committee, per the Florida Division of Elections. Political committees are required to submit campaign reports and disclose their donors.

Blank, who is not affiliated with any candidates, said violations of campaign finance law can obscure the transparency of Florida’s elections.

“That prevents the voters of Florida from being able to see who is giving money to support which candidates,” Blank said. “That’s a problem.”

Magruder’s campaign released a statement Sunday about the political advertisements saying she “did not collaborate with nor give approval” on the ads.

Whitfield Jenkins, president of Liberation Ocala African American Council, could not be immediately reached for comment.

Florida Elections Commission hasn’t responded to Blank, who said he hopes the outcome will reinforce the importance of registering political committees.  

“I think that this is a way that people try to hide where money comes from, and that’s just not how our system should work,” Blank said.

Contact Jessica Giles at jgiles@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @Jessica_giles_

Photo courtesy to the Alligator