‘Everybody will be affected by his absence’: UF telecommunications professor William Renkus dies

As an advertising major in a telecommunication classroom, Alexandra Olson was inspired by her professor to make a switch when he talked about the importance of telecommunications in culture.

In Fall 2016, Olson, a freshman at the time, took William Renkus’ introduction to telecommunication class to broaden her horizons. Renkus was tough but smart, Olson, now a 20-year-old UF telecommunication junior, said.

“He was very sharp and wanted things a certain way,” Olson said. “He wasn’t afraid to get things done.”

Olson was shocked to learn that Renkus died at 62 in his sleep last Sunday, according to his obituary. His cause of death is not confirmed because family members couldn’t be immediately reached for comment.

Renkus earned his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the University of Pittsburgh before he moved to Gainesville to pursue his doctorate degree at UF. Before he died, he taught telecommunication and public speaking classes at UF and Santa Fe College. Prior to teaching, he worked at a community cable station in Pittsburgh where he utilized his skills in videography.

“I didn’t really believe it at first because I’d always see him walking around campus,” Olson said.

Outside of teaching, Renkus played recreational tennis, the obituary said. He competed in singles and doubles in many United States Tennis Association leagues.

Similar to Olson, Caroline Keefe, a 20-year-old UF telecommunication junior, initially came to UF to pursue advertising but switched during her time with Renkus. Keefe said she became enamored with the history and depth of telecommunication.

“He seemed to really take an interest in what we were talking about and the process,” Keefe said. “The questions he asked seemed deeper and a lot more in-depth.”

Keefe said she was sad his death was out of the blue and that he was so young.

“Everyone knows him and everyone has taken a class with him,” Keefe said, “so I think everybody will be affected by his absence.”

Contact Dana Cassidy at dcassidy@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @danacassidy_