Generic Crime
Generic Crime

A field service technician fixing post-Hurricane Irma flooding on Florida State Road 26 was hit by an unknown driver Wednesday, Florida Highway Patrol said.

The Alachua County field service technician was near Newnans Lake and manning a post on the road, which Alachua County Sheriff's Office had blocked off due to flooding, according to a press release.

At about 12:53 p.m., an unknown driver hit the technician with a white Ford F-250. The driver drove through the roadblock and fled the scene, according to the press release. FHP described the truck as having camouflage stripes and a whip style radio antenna.

ACSO still has State Road 26 blocked off, and the field service technician was taken to UF Health Shands Hospital with minor injuries, according to the release.

Since Hurricane Irma, Alachua County closed several roads due to flooding, including Lakeshore Drive from State Road 26 to State Road 20, according to an Alachua County press release. FHP urges drivers to remain alert in these areas for first responders and utility workers who are working on storm recovery efforts, according to the FHP press release.

Florida Highway Patrol in Gainesville and the Alachua County Crime Stoppers are looking for anyone with information about the hit and run.

@catie_wegman

mwegman@alligator.org